The Mar-Mac Unified Law Enforcement District is accepting applications for the following position(s). The eligibility list will be valid for 2023.
The Mar-Mac Police Department is an entity of the Mar-Mac Unified Law Enforcement District, which encompasses the cities of Marquette and McGregor, in northeast Clayton County, Iowa. The police department is currently funded for three full-time officers and part-time/reserve officers on an as needed basis.
The cities of Marquette and McGregor is located along the banks of the Mississippi River. The police department is the primary law enforcement agency to 1,163 (2020 census) year-round residence and thousands more during the summer months. Because of our geographical location, the police district experiences a significant growth in daily transient population and commuters. This growth is due to the neighboring city of Prairie du Chien, WI (2020 US Census Population – 5,506), local employers, area attractions, nearby festivals, and a state and federal highway (approximately 4,500 vehicles average per day).
The police department patrols approximately 3.11 square miles, which is the largest geographical region patrolled by a police department in Clayton County, resulting in the highest calls for service amongst all police departments in the county. Also located within, or immediately bordering the police district, is the Mississippi River, Bloody Run Creek, Pikes Peak State Park (approximately 300,000 annual visitors), Effigy Mounds National Monument, and Bloody Run County Park/Wildlife Management Area.
We are seeking applicants who are collaborative and dedicated to serving the communities with dignity, integrity, and professionalism.
Application and employment details can be found on the department’s website under “Employment Opportunities.”
**AN AGENCY APPLICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED FOR CONSIDERATION**
Pay and benefits as of 11/09/2022:
- Non-Certified $21.56 / hour with an increase upon obtaining certification.
- After July 1, 2023 – $22.21 / hour.
- Certified $23.25 / hour to $24.75 / hour (depending on number of certified years of experience).
- After July 1, 2023 – $23.95 to $25.49 / hour (depending on certified years of experience).
- Longevity Pay: 5% increase after certified 3, 6, 9, and 12 years with agency.
- On-Call Pay: 1 hour for every 12 hours (average 24 hours on-call bi-weekly).
- Life Insurance ($50,000 for employee / $5,000 for spouse and dependent).
- Medical Insurance (Wellmark BCBS – 100% paid single coverage / $208 per month family coverage)
- 12-Hour Shift with every other weekend off.
- 7 Paid Holidays.
- 12 hours of Sick Leave accrued monthly (maximum 720 hours).
- 48 hours of vacation after the first year / 84 hours after two years.
- Certified officers would receive 48 hours of vacation after completion of probation.
- Retirement (Iowa Public Employee Retirement System – IPERS).
- Take home patrol vehicle (if residing in Iowa).
Requirement: Must reside within five miles of the police district within six months, including Wisconsin, upon appointment or upon graduation from the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy.
Interested candidates should submit an application to firstname.lastname@example.org or to the address below.
Chief Robert Millin
Mar-Mac Police Department
PO Box 69
319 Pleasant Drive
Marquette, Iowa 52158