The Mar-Mac Unified Law Enforcement District is recruiting for the following position(s):
- 2021 ELIGIBILITY LIST: Full-Time Police Officer (Certified / Non-Certified)
- Part-Time Police Officer (Certified)
- Reserve Police Officer (Certified)
The Mar-Mac Police Department is an entity of the Mar-Mac Unified Law Enforcement District, which encompasses the cities of Marquette and McGregor, in northeast Clayton County, Iowa. The police department is currently funded for three full-time officers and part-time/reserve officers on an as needed basis.
The cities of Marquette and McGregor is located along the banks of the Mississippi River. The police department is the primary law enforcement agency to 1,246 (2010 census) year-round residence and hundreds more during the summer months. Due to our geographical location, the Police District experiences a significant growth in daily population and commuters. This growth is due to the neighboring city of Prairie du Chien, WI (2010 US Census Population – 5,911), local employers, area attractions, nearby festivals, and a state and federal highway.
The police department patrols approximately 3.11 square miles of land, which is the largest geographical region patrolled by a police department in Clayton County. Also located within, or immediately bordering the Police District is the Mississippi River, Bloody Run Creek, Pikes Peak State Park (approximately 250,000 annual visitors), Effigy Mounds National Monument, and Bloody Run County Park/Wildlife Management Area.
We are seeking applicants who are team oriented and dedicated to serving the communities with dignity, integrity, and professionalism.
To be a police officer in the State of Iowa, a person must be certified by the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy (ILEA). The Iowa legislators have given ILEA authority “to set standards to the law enforcement service” in the State of Iowa. If a person cannot or will not meet these standards, they cannot be certified. Agencies may use stricter criteria than ILEA to select police officer candidates. A detailed explanation for the minimum standards for Iowa Law Enforcement Officers can be found in the Code of Iowa, Chapter 80B, Chapter 80D, Chapter 400, and the ILEA Administrative Rules. The following are the standards to be a Mar-Mac Police Officer.
**AN AGENCY APPLICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED TO BE CONSIDERED**
Pay and benefits as of 01/01/2021:
- Non-Certified: $17.50 / hour with an increase upon obtaining certification with a 50 cent increase on 7/1/2021 and 1/1/2022.
- Certified: $19.00 / hour with a 50 cent increase on 7/1/2021 and 1/1/2022.
- Assigned take home patrol vehicle with current equipment.
- Life Insurance ($50,000 for employee / $5,000 for spouse and dependent).
- Medical Insurance (Wellmark BCBS – 100% paid single coverage / $195 per month family coverage).
- 12-Hour Shift.
- 7 Paid Holidays.
- 8 hours of Sick Leave accrued monthly (maximum 480 hours).
- 48 hours of vacation after the first year / 84 after two years.
- Retirement (Iowa Public Employee Retirement System – IPERS)
Interested candidates should submit an application to the mailing or email address below.
Mar-Mac Police Department
PO Box 69
319 Pleasant Drive
Marquette, Iowa 52158