Full-time employee benefits include vacation, sick leave, medical and life insurance, assigned take home patrol vehicle, and the Iowa Public Employees Retirement System (IPERS).
Full-time Police Officers shall establish residency within seven (7) miles of the corporate limits of Marquette or McGregor, in the State of Iowa, within six (6) months of appointment.
Non-certified applicants for the full-time position of Police Officer should be:
- Have the ability to obtain certification from the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy;
- Be 21 years of age at the time of appointment;
- Possess an associate degree or a minimum of 60 college credits;
- Hold a valid driver’s license;
- Successfully pass the physical fitness tests;
- Possess a high level of personal integrity and be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation including a fingerprint search conducted of local, state and national fingerprint files;
- Have not been convicted of a felony or a crime involving moral turpitude;
- Not be addicted to drugs or alcohol;
- Be examined by a physician and meet the physical requirements necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of a law enforcement officer;
- Have uncorrected vision of not less than 20/100 in both eyes, corrected to 20/20, and color vision consistent with the occupational demands of law enforcement;
- Have normal hearing in each ear (hearing aids are acceptable if a candidate can demonstrate sufficient hearing proficiency to perform all necessary duties of a law enforcement officer);
- Undergo psychological testing;
- Successfully pass the Police Officer Selection Test (POST) testing;
- Not be opposed to use of force to fulfill duties;
- Be able to perform and complete all duties expected of a police officer.