The Chief of Police shall establish residency within seven (7) miles of the corporate limits of Marquette or McGregor, in the State of Iowa, within six (6) months of appointment.
Applicants for the position of Chief of Police should be:
- Certified by the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy or have the ability to obtain certification from the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy within 12 months of appointment;
- Be a U. S. Citizen and a resident of Iowa or intend to become a resident upon being employed;
- Be 21 years of age at the time of appointment;
- Possess a minimum of an associate’s degree from an accredited college or university a minimum of 60 college credits;
- A minimum of 5 years of supervisory and administrative experience in a public law enforcement agency.
- Hold a valid driver’s license;
- Possess a high level of personal integrity and be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation including a fingerprint search conducted of local, state and national fingerprint files;
- Have not been convicted of a felony or a crime involving moral turpitude;
- Not be addicted to drugs or alcohol;
- Must be in good standing with current and/or former agency;
- Undergo psychological testing;
- Not be opposed to use of force to fulfill duties;
- Be able to perform and complete all duties expected of a police officer.